Thursday, August 11, 2011

Catching up on rides.

I have been riding though I have not been writing about it.  We have been getting out at least every other day in this crazy unrelenting heat wave.  I have been concentrating most of our rides to lateral work and the other part to field galloping/cantering.  We are trying to get our steering under control.  Which is improving with the lateral work.  Steady seems to have been kinda jumpy the last few days.  Not sure what that is all about but it could very well be the drop in temps the last two days.  Boy oh boy has that been a relief!  Last night I couldn't even get him to go out into the field he is normally turned out in?  Kookey!  So instead we went out into the back field. 

Lateral is coming easier for him and our steering in open spaces is improving, slooooooooowwwwllly but improving.  Being new to this whole galloping thing I have found something interesting that I am wondering about.  We are galloping in an open area but we stay in a bigish section surrounded by soy beans.  He seems to pick up the incorrect lead so I will change the direction of our turns so that he will be on the correct lead and he will automatically switch leads?  I am wondering why.  When galloping/cantering should I not be concerned with leads?  Peter said don't worry so much about the lead but improve the lead you are on.  Now I don't know how far he actually meant to take that.  But he was more concerned that he be balanced than what lead he was on.  So if Steady is galloping to the right on the left lead and in balance do I just let him be?  On a side note, galloping is fuuun!  I have been afraid to do so up until now.  I am becoming more confident in Steady to stay on his feet and me to stay on his back no matter what speed we are going.

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I'm so happy you're having fun with it and you are both improving so well. I miss galloping. It is fun! I can't answer your question because I don't know. I hope someone else can. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're working and improving! Always good to have a useful clinic.

    Without seeing exactly what you're doing, I can't say too much, but Jimmy Wofford would never, ever let you get away with picking up the wrong lead in an open space like that. You asked for right lead, make sure you get right lead. If you let him get away with left, you're just un-training him. HOWEVER, if you're approaching a fence, the last thing you need to do is screw up your rhythm by dropping to trot and changing your lead.

    ReplyDelete

Steady and I love your feedback, so don't be shy!