Monday, October 10, 2011

Growing up Cowgirl!

I'm going way back into history here and pulling out some serious archives.  It is no wonder why I am so horse obsessed it is sickening still at the age of 31.  First documentation of Amy on a horse.





Yup that's me.  I can't be a year old.  I am guessing 8 months old and can you see that grin?  I am riding our family horse Winjan a registered arabian gelding.  Which if we were to be honest out of the 6 family memebers in our household I rode him more than any of them combined and timed by 1000!  I cannot tell you how many places that horse took me.

Me age 7 giving my little cousins pony rides.

 I rode him in fancy hunter/jumper shows, I ran barrels, keyhole, poles, galloped him through pastures all over our neighborhood, galloped through 2 feet of snow, rode him through the Hardee's drive-thru more than once, which was in town about 5 miles from my house, which means I rode him all through town.  I rode him to friends house and tied him outside there houses all day while I played, we disappeared for days at a time getting lost in woods and not really even caring.


Me (6) and my Buddy!


 I fell off of him more times than I could ever remember and I have very visable scars on my knee and my elbow that I can tell you very detailed stories on how Winjan "gave" them to me.  It is amazing to me the places that him and I went together.


Me(10) and a very fit and handsome Winjan. 

 The last moments we spent together are in the hours that I spent hand walking him, crying as he was colicking.  I watched as they shoved tubes down his throat and pumped him with oil to try to get things moving.  I continued walking and talking to him, I can remember being so exhausted that I didn't feel like I could walk any longer but there was no way I was going to stop. Until my Dad said it was time to take him to the vet.  I understood that we didn't have the money to spend on surgery but that didn't make me any less angry that we couldn't 'fix' him.  I can remember the set up of the vets office and the stall he told us to put him in.  I said goodbye and my Dad took me home not really saying yet that he was for sure going to be put down.  The next day my Dad made the decision to euthenize him.  He was only 18 years old and died too young.  I was only 15 and had my first experience loosing my best friend.  I had had to say goodbye to horses before.  Even horses I loved.  I had to hand walk other horses for hours just before they too were put down.  They were all experiences I will never forget but none will ever compare to loosing this life long friend.  Winjan I still love you to this day.  You will forever be in my heart.  I hope you have forgiven me for all those childish mistakes I made with you.  You have impacted me more than possibly any other living being ever has, I love you.

Me(14) and Winjan(17) soaring high! 

3 comments:

  1. Lovely story - now I understand how you totally got it when it came to a 17 yr old losing her best friend. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. I love that last picture. You two looked awesome together. I loved hearing his story. :)

    I had no clue you weren't following Chrome's blog!!! I actually went and looked at my comments and there aren't any from you. I'm so glad you found it so you can follow along with Chrome's progress. :) I separated the horse stuff from my Farmer blog because that's all I was writing about hehe. I look forward to your comments. :)

    ReplyDelete

Steady and I love your feedback, so don't be shy!