Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Do I know my horse or do I know my horse?

Unfortunately in this case it doesn't matter if it is pitch dark outside or not I could tell something was not right.  Like I expected, swelling and heat :,(


I am by no stretch of the imagination a lameness expert.  Then you make that hind end lameness and I am useless.  I have no good way to check him out properly either.  I do not trust the ground for lunging and no ground person to check while I ride.  Walking in the pasture he looks perfectly fine.  Putting weight on it like normal.  Here's hoping it is just a minor tweak and will be fine in no time.  I was considering taking a lesson on the 14th but that is not going to happen now.  My recipe for a healthy horse is rest and lots of it.   I guess now my obsession is going to turn to trackng his leg.   So here goes.


January 3rd 8:30 pm notice swelling and heat in LH.

January 4th 2:30 pm LH leg appears exactly the same.

7 comments:

  1. If he's not noticeably lame, is it possible he's just stocked up a bit? Sorry, I'm terribly at this too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not stocking up. I was sure he had a few hours out in the pasture before I went to check him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your recipe is the best in town in my book. Rest should do the trick. Good luck and try not to worry or over think it. Watching while resting. What else is there to do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. anytime there is swelling and heat I cold hose the leg twice a day for 20 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet it's a hoof abcess. Got a good farrier?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd cold hose twice like horsemom mentioned, or wrap with a flexible ice pack, since there's heat. Probably give some bute too. We had mystery swelling this summer and that routine worked for us.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Steady! I'm sure he just tweaked it somehow. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete

Steady and I love your feedback, so don't be shy!